Margaret Oliver Award for Early-career Pedometricians Call for Nominations, 2017 award
The Pedometrics Commission of the International Union of Soil Sciences (IUSS) is pleased to introduce a new award, which is intended to recognize up-and-coming talent in pedometrics. The award is named for Margaret Oliver, in recognition of her outstanding commitment to the promotion and encouragement of pedometricians in the early stages of their careers as well as her overall service to pedometrics. The award will be given at each biennial meeting of the Pedometrics Commission; the first award will be at Pedometrics 2017, 26-June – 01-July 2017 in Wageningen (NL) (http://www.pedometrics2017.org).
The recipient of the Award will accept:
- 50 GBP voucher from Wiley
- One year’s free membership from the British Society of Soil Science, which will give free electronic access to European Journal of Soil Science and Soil Use and Management
Requirements and eligibility for the award of the Margaret Oliver award:
Nominees must have:
(1) received a PhD degree or equivalent no longer than 5 years before the nomination deadline of 30-November-2016; that is, the award must be after 01-December-2011
(2) made high-quality contributions to pedometrics, as evidenced by published work, conference presentations, workshops, field guides, etc.
(3) at the time of the award be active in pedometrics and with a prospect of so continuing
“Pedometrics” is broadly defined as the application of mathematics or statistics in soil science.
1) Nominations for the Margaret Oliver Award should be made by a colleague or colleagues who know the person’s work well — these do not have to be IUSS members or active in pedometrics. The proposer(s) should submit the following on behalf of their nominee:
(a) a supporting letter signed by the proposer(s) explaining why this nominee should be awarded the Margaret Oliver Award, with respect to the conditions outlined in the section “requirements and eligibility”, above;
(b) a curriculum vitae that gives one or more the following, always showing clear relevance to pedometrics:
i. publications (journal, book, popular…);
ii. positions held;
iii. research undertaken;
iv. education of others;
v. teaching courses developed;
vi. leadership and management of research projects;
vii. service (broadly defined) to the pedometrics community.
2) Nominations should be sent before 01-December-2016 to the Chairman of the Pedometrics award committee: D G Rossiter at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Oliver Award 2017”
3) The nominations will be evaluated by the award committee:
David G. Rossiter (ISRIC-World Soil Information (NL), Cornell University (USA), Nanjing Normal University (PRC)).
Sabine Grunwald (University of Florida, USA)
Alex McBratney (University of Sydney, Australia)
Margaret Oliver (University of Reading, UK)
Lin Yang (Chinese Academy of Sciences, State Key Laboratory of Resources and Environmental Information Systems, PRC)
This committee was appointed by the IUSS Pedometrics Commission advisory board in January 2014 and serves until the next World Soil Congress in 2018.